From:
Mahesh Shah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 09:18:18 -0600
Where can you buy coconut milk??
[Mahesh Shah]   i would not buy the cocnut milk, but get it from a coconut.
( The milk is available in cans ind is used a lot in Thai food recipes
which have been popular the last few years.

Also, does anybody buy fresh coconuts at the market and use them? I am
wondering if this might be good for my son.
[Mahesh Shah]  "fresh" is a relative term. The coconuts may have been
harvested several weeks before, but that is fine.
Most metropolitan supermarkets have them now. If not, call some ethnic food
stores in your area -- Thai, Indian or Filipino.The "greener" they are, the
softer and sweeter the meat and milk. As they mature, the milk turns to
meat inside the coconut. "Green" ones are hard to find in my area.

I buy the coconuts that are pre-scored to break easily. To prepare to eat,
poke out two of the eyes ( with an awl and hammer ) and drain out the water
/ milk. Then put the coconut in a plastic bag and give it some whacks with
a hammer to shatter it. Depending on the "greenness" of the coconut, you
may be able to scoop out the white flesh / meat or have to use a sharp
small knife with some effort. The coconut "meat" will keep for a few days
and can be used as a travel food. If you have a grinder, grind the coconuts
meat with some dates and roll into little balls. It is a delicious,
nutritious treat that children and adults love.

It takes some effort, but it is worth it. Coconuts are a very good source
of fats. They got a bad rap in the press over the past two decades, because
of the fat, but research is showing that the fats they have are very good
for the body. There are some anti-fungal drugs for candida that are made
from coconut oils.

From reading the rest of your post, I am wondering if you eat organic
meats. The reason I ask is because conventionally grown meats are very high
in pesticides which concentrate in the fats. This is a significant health
risk factor, beside the other damaging effects. you suspect the gluten in
the pizza. I would also suspect the cheese, which, because of conventional
agriculture / dairy practices, is high in pesticides and hormones.