Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 1997 08:20:01 -0800
Am I really the first to comment on this study? I just read a report
from the Boston Globe about a study of 80,000 nurses. They found two
things:

 By halving their intake of transfats -- from the current average of 4
percent
 to 2 percent of total calories -- Americans could slash their risk of
 heart-attack and coronary deaths by 42 percent, the study suggests. And
by
 replacing 5 percent of the energy they now get from saturated fats with
 unsaturated fats, they could reduce the risks by 53 percent.

Also they found:

Trans-unsaturated fat, as the man-made stuff is called, is 14 times more
 potent as a heart-disease risk factor than the saturated fats the
public has
 been warned about for years -- the kind in marbled beef, butter, and
cheese.

In the end they recommend polyunsaturates and monounsaturates, namely
olive oil and canola( the Globe did, I don't know if it the study named
these oils ).

They found no difference in heart disease risk

whether their
 diets contained 29 percent of calories from fat, 46 percent from fat,
or
 anywhere in between

The full article is at:
http://www.sjmercury.com/news/breaking/docs/060285.htm

Now what does this mean for us? I have no idea how much saturated fat I
eat percentage wise, probably easily under the 46%. Were the nurses just
not eating more than that so they couldn't test anything higher, or were
risks increased as fat intake increased? I am concerned that I am eating
more saturated fat than ever( much before the study ). I've stayed away
from trans-fats for a while now eating mostly mono and some poly.

any thoughts?,

Micke