Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 1997 13:46:58 -0800
My first batch of pemmican is in my dehydrator from K Mart ($29.99)  I only
did a pound for the first time, it is sliced as thin as possible, about 1/8
inch thick.

This dehydrator does have some heat, and you can't turn it down. I am
putting nothing on the bottom rack, which seems to be the warmest.

My question is, I bought eye of round, it is already very lean, there were a
few vein like things in it which I could not tell if it was fat. I cut off a
tiny bit of fat around the edges, but overall it was just lean meat.

I got the suet for free, do you guys get it for free? They said they
normally just throw it away with the bones.

Also, my dehydrator instructions say to ALWAYS cook meat first.  I put mine
in the dehydrator raw, is that ok?

I am SOOOO excited about this pemmican!

Also, does it really take 8 to 15 hours to dry?? The meat is very thin, I
have it spaced out quite a bit, is it possible that it could dry quicker?
Already, it seems to be quite dry after just a couple hours. Also, someone
mentioned putting 6 pounds of meat in there. So wouldn't one pound dry a lot
quicker?

Also, why do we have to render the suet twice? Isn't once enough???

I found cheesecloth and a strainer at K Mart as well, I found the suet at PW
Market in San Jose, CA.