From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Nov 1997 14:23:55 -0500
On Fri, 31 Oct 1997, EJCDC wrote:

> As to the TRI:HDL ratio.  See:  JAMA, vol.276, p.882,'96; also Family Practice
> News, vol.21, no. 23, '91; also Atkins newsletter, Jan & Feb. '97.  These
> studies indicate that the higher the triglycerides, the greater the risk of
> CHD.  I also attended a nutritional conference in NYC (Oct. '97) where Atkins
> gave the keynote speech on glucose metabolism and disease.  During the speech,
> Atkins stated that the "surrogate markers" for insulin resistance is an
> abnormal TRI:HDL ratio (I have a tape of the speech).  The ratio should be
> <2:1.

Ed, thanks for the references.  I was able to get the JAMA
article, and found it most interesting.

> >From a treatment standpoint, LDL:HDL and TRI:HDL are not co-variant.

I understand.  I simply meant that in most cases, when one is
elevated, the other is also.  My own case is unusual in this
respect, since my triglycerides went down, while LDL went up.

> You can try supplements like pantathine, and essential oils.

I have been unable to find pantethine in any health food store.

> However, you
> made need to look at thyroid function and other hormone levels.

Thyroid is normal.

> Cholesterol
> is used to make steroid hormones like DHEA, testosterone, and androstendione.

Hmm... Interesting.  I wonder what would cause these to be low.

> Perhaps your levels of these hormones are low meaning more cholesterol is free
> in the blood.  Exercise, particularly resistance training will raise HDL
> levels.

My reading suggests that it is aerobic exercise that has the most
beneficial effect on blood lipids.  See, for example, Int J
Sports Med 1993 Oct;14(7):396-400.  Here is a quotation:

        Training had a significant influence on HDL, HDL2,
        LDL/HDL, HDL2/HDL3, and cholesterol/HDL. With anaerobic
        training these variables changed in the opposite
        direction compared with aerobic training which influenced
        the lipoprotein profile in the desired direction.
        Cholesterol, HDL3, and LDL did not alter during the nine
        weeks of training. After nine weeks of training, the
        higher the blood lactate concentration during exercise
        (representing training intensity) was, the higher resting
        LDL/HDL ratio was found. The correlation between these
        two variables was highly significant.  We conclude that
        training above the anaerobic threshold has no or even
        negative effects on blood lipoprotein profiles.
        Therefore, beneficial adaptations in lipoprotein profile
        must be achieved with moderate training intensities below
        the anaerobic threshold.

I seem to recall Kenneth Cooper having done studies showing that
even quite mild aerobic exercise had the same beneficial effects
as more vigorous aerobic exercise.

Todd Moody