From:
Gary Ditta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 1997 21:21:45 -0700
Robert wrote on 9/8:

>If you are talking about "enlightenment" in the spiritual sense, low
>carb/fasting is a very short-term way to alter your state. ketosis at low
>cal levels does seem to slow the reflecting action of consciousness, but
>its a rather backwards way of going about things. True enlightenment will
>be found in basement samadhi. Over and over and over again, until one day,
>well, the world becomes a very different place.

This touches on an odd sort of question I've been wondering about - whether
there might be a difference in the quality of meditation on a ketogenic vs
non-ketogenic diet. Certainly there's ample precedent, as Robert says, for
fasting as a means to alter mental state, but I'm wondering here about a
diet that's calorically sufficient. After all, the brain fuel is quite
different in the two situations (glucose vs ketones), and one can easily
imagine subtle differences in brain chemistry.

Anyone here tried serious meditation while under strict ketosis?

Gary