NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Art Pightling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 1997 08:07:12 -0500
You wrote:

>Lately I am having a small problem with my 15 month old son.
>
>He snatches cookies (with milk ingredients) werever he finds them (my
3
>year old has the bad habbit of eating 1/2 cookies and leaving the rest
>around. I've told her hundreds of times that if she wants no more,
throw
>the bicuit in the garbish or give it to me).
>
>Also when were at a birtheday are a reunion, small children tend to go
from
>arm to arm, and some people do mistake to give him something not apt
for
>him. Usually as soon as I arrive I explain the situation, and ask them
>ask for my confirmation first.
>
>Any suggestions, please awnser to [log in to unmask]
>
>I would like for other people on this list, to explain problems they
come
>allong with a bit more, so that all of us can be allert.
>
>TIA,
>Erica

Erica,

My realator told me that years ago she had the same problem- her
allergic child would go out to play in the neighborhood, and somewhere
along the way, some well meaning person would give him food that he
should not have.

She told me she solved the problem by fastening a sign to the child
before he went to play that said" Do Not Feed".  She claims that this
worked.

This sounds drastic, but after awhile, the regular people the child is
around will get accustomed to the "no feed " rule.  To ask them to
confirm an appropriate food first is too cumbersome.  Just ask them NOT
to feed, PERIOD.  In a group situation, such as a party, there is bound
to be people who are not familiar with your situation, so the note
during these occasions will be a physical reminder during a hectic ,
fun-filled time, when they might innocently give a cookie or something
without thinking.

As for your 3 year old, to instill in her how serious you are about
this, maybe you could have a designated food and snack area, and that
is the ONLY place she is allowed to eat.  Do not let her have food
anywhere else,and as she gets older and more responsible, she could
have more slack as to where she can have food.  This should make it
easier for you to locate the leftovers and dispose of them, instead of
taking the chance of the allergic younger child finding it first.

Good luck.

Kim