NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Katie Addison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 00:27:42 -0700
Lisa and list,

I am so sorry I haven't gotten back to you.  I've had a hectic month (my
husband was in major crunch mode at a startup and my kids are with me
ALL THE TIME for the summer).  I just haven't been getting on the
computer.

Rebecca had the tubes in for two months and had 3 major ear infections
with discharge through the tube(s) for the first two, and for the third,
such thick discharge that the tubes (both) got plugged.  The ENT said he
had never seen both ears get blocked that way.  Not fun.

She has had only one ear infection since that I could not immediately
and easily tie to an accidental exposure to milk around 10 days prior to
the ear infection.  Even that one I with hindsight have two potential
"oops, that product has milk in it!" possibilities.

She was on antibiotic for the double ear infection when she went off
milk which may confuse things, but the change was very quick.

We did not go completely off all milk products for some period (I think
about 9 months) after stopping liquid milk, cheese and yogurt.  At
around 21 months, we went off all dairy products, but it was sometime
later that I clicked that there was casein in the soy cheese we were
using.  At 2 years we had a RAST test done and discovered she was
allergic to "milk protein" (they did not tell me which ones) and no
other foods that they checked for.

It is all so nebulous with kids and cold-like symptoms, but I do believe
that every time we have improved our avoidance of milk products, I have
seen an improvement in Rebecca's health.

Hope this helps and is not too late to be of help even though you've
already done the surgery.

I will be incommunicado again til August since the kids and I (and
sometimes my husband) are going on vacation.

Cheers, Katie