NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robyn Kozierok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 11:04:57 -0400
>We cannot get used to the taste of any of the soy or rice beverages we've
>tried so far.  Someone mentioned a tofu beverage I will look for next time
>I'm in the health food store (But that's going to be akin to the soy
>products isn't it?).  My kids won't even use chocolate rice dream on
>sweetened cereal they don't otherwise get so you know they must not like it! :)
>I did see a local dairy is now putting out milk from cows that have not been
>given bovine growth factors or antibiotics, but from what I've read here,
>although these chemicals are not good for children, they are not what's
>causing the allergic reactions, right?
>Any other ideas as to what the children would like on cereal?  Someone
>suggested orange juice on corn flakes but I haven't worked up the nerve to
>serve that yet!

Like your kids, I can't stand any of the milk substitutes either.  I am
also off soy, so my choices are more limited.  I either eat dry cereal
or (usually) oatmeal.  Quaker's "Raisin and spice" and "Raisin, date, and
walnut" are dairy-free.  I think their apples and cinnamon is too.  All the
other flavors contain some dairy, even the plain! (it's either in the caramel
color, or just from sharing the line with other dairy-containing flavors).

>Can anyone recommend any of the non-dairy cheeses?  Gosh, I hate to just
>pick one and try it; they are so damn expensive!  I could buy prime filet
>mignon for the same price!

Most of the non-dairy cheeses still contain casein.  VeganRella doesn't, but
IMO it's gross.

good luck!

--Robyn