NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jul 1998 10:38:24 -0400

>Needless to say, I am scared to death to give him milk again.
>What do you think, am I obssesing or is all this diary related?

Sounds like it. I'd take him back and show them the bumps. May be a delayed
reaction.

In our experience, the docs were mostly looking for an "immediate
hypersensitivity reaction" - a "type 1 reaction" that came up within 20
minutes and resulted in hives, anaphylaxis, etc., and they discounted any
other (obvious) symptoms. A subsequent doc looked over the same symptoms
later and supported our conclusion that the foods in question were indeed
triggering the symptoms.

You may also want to consider that the dairy products are triggering a
leaky-gut related delayed reaction. The diarrhea is a strong clue there.
The lower GI tract gets irritated/inflamed, and proteins then get through
to trigger delayed symptoms.

I'd definitely get a second opinion on what occured.

Mark

Mark Feblowitz                  GTE Laboratories Incorporated
[log in to unmask]              40 Sylvan Road, Waltham, MA 02154-1120