NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Debbie Benstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 08:24:59 +0300
Abi N wrote:

They are made in Israel by Elite Industries and say right on the
> package that they may be used for Passover (hence no wheat, rye, oats,  barley, or soy).

If these are made in Israel, I would double check to make sure they do
not contain soy. In Israel there are two types of "Kosher for Passover".

Sephardi Jews are allowed to eat products with legumes (e.g.soy) and
Ashkenazi Jews are not. In the US, pretty much everything for Passover
is made with Ashkenazi Jews in mind. Hence you don't need to think about
avoiding soy. Here in Israel, where the majority of Jews are Sephardi
(originally from Spain and Arab countries), most "Kosher for Passover"
products are made with Sephardi practices in mind. That means a lot of
products can still be made with soy products.

It may be that these Elite bars are just fine, but for those of you
craving dairy-free chocolate who are allergic to soy, it's worth
checking.

Yes, I know it's complicated, but what can I do :-). If any of you ever
visit Israel around Passover time for a major chocolate fix, you'll know
what to look out for (grin)!

Debbie