NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Daniel Twogood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 1997 07:37:51 -0800
Peter G. Tallas wrote:

>I  think that agricultural processes to separate casein and whey components
>of milk are not 100% complete.  The possibility of cross contamination is
>very real.  It is a stretch to think that a whey ingredient would not
>contain any casein.

Contamination is indeed possible, I know nothing of that. My choosing
casein over the protein content of whey comes from my experience with
patients. I have had some dairy sensitive patients who do indeed react to
whey, however most (in my experience) do not. They have reactions to
casein but not whey. Each case must be taken on an individual basis, but
it will much easier for those who do not react to whey to first make that
determination, then not have to avoid foods that will not cause reactions.
Amazingly enough, many of the adults I treat think avoiding casein is too
difficult---avoiding casein AND whey causes major eye rolling.

Daniel A. Twogood, D.C.