NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 1997 13:17:00 +0000
Gina Weal <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> This is my 1st posting. I am enjoying being on this list very much. I have
> had numerous symptoms over the years and was actually on goats milk as a
> child for some years. I was then able to go back on all dairy, yeast,
> processed foods etc. As i got older ( I am now 28) my symptoms have been
> steadily deteriorating. I have chronic asthma, adult croup( Iam one
> of the few who never grew out of this and now need to be
> hospitalised when I have an attack). Sinusitis, migraines, exzcema,
> and planar warts on my limbs as well as skin fungus.

This raises an interesting parrallel with celiac disease, where
symptoms SEEM to disappear in mid-childhood. In fact, they just go
underground, and re-emerge later as chronic, rather than acute
symptoms. In other words, the body gives up trying to tell you "this
food is not good for you," and your immune system - which is
very powerful at first - gradually weakens, until all of those
unpleasant chronic symptoms start to appear.

The body has a great built-in inteligence, and an enormous
resilience, but it can't deal with the utter stupidity of doctors.

> After being told for ages that I have a weakened
> immunity and that's the reason for everything,

Doctors still haven't cottoned on to the fact that food intolerance
and weakened immunity are two sides of the same coin.

> some doctor finally said why don't we look at your food again.
> Not total elimination as I am trying to get pregnant(no success
> for 15 months), but a sequence of restrictive diets. At present
> I am on the wheat/dairy free and have noticed a huge but not
> complete improvement.

A gluten/dairy-free diet is better - I have often heard of doctors
putting people on a wheat-free diet, but not a gluten-free one. Why?
Wheat, Rye and Barley are very similar grains that cause lots of
problems for many people.

It is a good idea to experiment with your diet, until you find the
optimum diet for you. I have been on a gluten/dairy-free for half a
year, and the improvements are incredible, but I am still sensitive
to a variety of foods, and to environmental pollution, stress (from
noise, traffic, etc).

> Is there anyone else with
> symptoms like this and what do you suggest.

My first suggestion would be try a completely gluten-free diet.
That means elimination of all wheat, rye, barley and oats (although
there is some debate about the gluten status of oats among celiac
experts.) Just concentrate on getting the most natural diet possible
- avoid all processed food and additives - and keep experimenting
with elimination of suspect foods - tomatoes, citrus, soya, eggs and
corn are problem foods for many of us. Find the best available
hypoallergenic multivitamin - I find Solgar is the best for me.
Cod-liver oil is a great addition to any diet. Then you could look
into EFA's (essential fatty acids) - I could go on. There is also
LOTS of information to be found on the web.

And, of course, keep on listening in here!

best wishes,

Max Desorgher