NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 11:17:33 -0500
>> Hello!
>
>My son is now on Prosobee and off all dairy. If dairy IS his allergy,
>how long would it take for the eczema to clear up?

It may take days to weeks.  Also, be careful in your reasoning. While we'd
all like IT to be just one food or food family, atopic kids can be allergic
to more than one food. You may see an improvement, but not a complete
recovery. If so, dairy products may be one of a few allergenic foods for
you son. It may take quite a while to narrow down the others, and along the
way you may make some mistakes and take out some foods that are actually
ok. Don't starve him on the road to finding relief. Instead, keep his diet
simple, introduce only one simple new food at a time over a period of
several days, and go back and retest later to increase your certainty about
the suspected foods.

Once we found a "clear diet" for Josh, we went right back and tested wheat
- he did fine with it, and we were quite relieved that he could eat it,
since we already knew (from anaphylactic reactions) that he couldn't have
milk, eggs, or nuts :-(

Mark Feblowitz