NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Beth Kevles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 10:28:39 -0500
Hi -

Several people we khnow have had bad reactions to the "trace" dairy
in Tropical Source.  But Lindt's bittersweet chocolate bars are
excellent.

When I spoke with Hershey's customer service they said mine was the only
call they had received that day objecting to the new formulation
of their special dark chocolate.  So unless LOTS more people get on
the phone Hersheys will have no incentive to change.  (I'm going to
use the coupons they send for cocoa powder and baking chocolate.)

Here's my new favorite dessert recipe:

        SORBET IN CHOCOLATE CUPS

Purchase or make your favorite sorbet.  We prefer home-made lemon
sorbet; your tastes may vary.

To make the choclate cups, first buy a bunch of small balloons.  The
size markdeted as "water bombs" works well.  Thoroughly wash and dry the
exteriors of the balloons, then blow them up.

Melt a couple of Lindt bittersweet chocolate bars in your microwave (
or over a double boiler.)

Dip the blown up balloons in the chocolate, place on waxed paper and
refrigerate for 5-10 minutes.

Remove the balloons from the fridge and pop them.  Remove the balloon
carcases from the chocolate cups and throw them away.  Take some of the
leftover melted chocolate and use it as paint to fill in any holes in
the cups.

Freeze the cups.  Fill with sorbet no more than 4 hours prior to serving.
Garnish with fresh fruit.

This process is fun to do with children and easier than it sounds.  And
the cups taste MUCH better than the prefab ones you can buy for a
fortune.

Cheers!
--Beth Kevles