NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 10:22:10 -0500
>I am new to the  list and this is my first post. I have a question and I
>need an answer ASAP. I have to go get a prescription tonight for my son's
>ear infection. He is doing better than my last baby--this is only his
>second ear infection in four months. I am trying to stay milk-free and I
>think that is helping, but it is hard for me because dairy is my favorite
>food group and there are so many things that sneak milk or cheese in as
>ingredients! I have slipped a little recently, and that combined with his
>recent cold led to this ear infection.
>
>Anyway, my question is, does amoxicillin contain milk? I think I read
>somewhere that it is milk-based but I can't remember where I might have
>read this to confirm it. If so, are all amoxicillins milk-based, or can I
>ask the pharmacist for a non-milk-based amoxicillin? Or would I be better
>off waiting until tomorrow and asking my pediatrician to prescribe
>something else?

I sincerely doubt it, even though the suspension has a "creamy" texture.
There are a few generic brands out there, so your best bet is to ask the
pharmacist for a list of ingredients on the form that was precscibed for
your son. If it contains any milk products, have the pharmacist phone the
doc for a replacement.

But, like I said, I doubt it. Typically the only medications that contain
milk products are in pill form and are buffered in lactose, which is milk
sugar.

Mark Feblowitz