NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 19:16:32 -0800
I've been struggling lately to find thating that my 11 month old will eat
consistantly (hysterical laughter).  She won't eat plain rice or noodles
or some reason, so I've tried a few things to get her interest.  She's
also on an anti-vegetable campaign.  The pasta we coat with a little
spaghtetti sauce or chili.  Rice I've cooked with some stock instead of
water.  This got old fast.  I don't care for margerine on rice since it
has too strong of a flavor.  Here are some other ideas I've tried that
also add some fat and flavor.

Kathy

Annatto Oil

2 c vegetable oil
1 c annatto seed
(These are found in Filipino or Latino markets)

Heat oil in heavy pan to about 350F.  Add seeds and remove from heat.
Allow to cool.  Strain oil into glass jar and store in refrigerator.
This is used in stead of or in addition to saffron in many dishes.

Yellow Rice

Add a couple of tablespoons of the annatto oil and a pinch of cumin seeds
or ground cumin to rice as it is cooking.  Makes a beautiful yellow color
and adds a lot of flavor but not overpowering.

Yellow Rice with Peas - this goes great with grilled or roasted chicken
for a quick one pot side dish.

Saute some minced garlic, and a chopped onion and bell pepper in some
olive oil until tender.  Add 1 c frozen peas, 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp salt,
1 tbsp annatto oil to 2 c rice and 4 cups water.  You can also add a
pinch of saffron if you'd like.  Simmer over low heat 20 - 25 minutes
until rice is tender and all liquid is absorbed.  The amounts are easily
halved for a smaller family.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]