NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Helen Fernety <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 1998 22:19:28 -0500
Thanks everyone for the tasty ideas to help this infant.

Below is a copy of the replies we received.

Thanks for taking the time to share,

Helen Fernety

#1 For our daughter, to make nutramagen more palatible, we mixed it
half and half with juice.  She wouldn't drink it 100%, but would
drink it with a juice mixture.
-----
#2 We put a drop or two of vanilla extract or almond extract in about 8 oz. of
soy formula to give it a better taste.
Some non-allergic friends of my son, who is 5, have said it tastes like a milk
shake and even they like it!
----
#3 My 6 year old son hated the taste of formula too.  After they
discontinued his
Nursoy, he hasn't had any formula again after trying them all out.   He
luckily was 4 when it was discontinued.   One way I get his formula in is to
mix with his mashed potatoes and use in his oatmeal.  We use the Vanilla Rice
Dream enriched with calcium.  Another thing maybe worth trying is to mix the
formula with a couple tablespoons of juice or deluting the formula to make it
taste less repulsive.   Another tip:  If you use oatmeal use the Apple
cinnamon Quaker Oats packets (no milk) which are fortified with vitamins A &
D.  Regular oatmeal isn't.  Or look for juices with the same vitamins added.
Last tip: Order the Food Allergy Network's nutrition booklet ($5) and it will
list which vitamins we miss out on with a food allergen.  Good Luck Jane.