NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cherie Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 00:19:55 -0800
Why do you say alternative FORMULA? Actually that is the "F" word among
Lactation Consultants! I started introducing Rice Dream Enriched Original
(similar taste to breastmilk) at about 10 months old and enriched soy milks
at about a year. A "formula" is not necessary to replace cow's milk. The
products I have mentioned have the key ingredients that they would get
concentrated in cow's milk. I recommend that these types of milk be
introduced first (after breastmilk) anyways in case there is a cow milk
allergy then the child is accustomed to their tastes. I never said to
breastfeed and not introduce any other milks. Natural weaning actually
occurs in the toddler and preschool years and the milk at that point is
providing very small amounts once the nursing has been reduced to once or
twice a day (night)...Cherie