NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robert Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 15 Feb 1997 10:58:09 -0800
Dear Bill,

The average dairy cow in India yield three quarts of milk per day while
American cows yield approximately 40 quarts per animal.

FDA states that heating (pasteurization) does not affect the IGF-I.
However, when milk is "cooked" in an autoclave to produce infant
"formula" (at 300 degrees fahrenheit for 30 minutes) the hormones are
supposedly degraded.

FDA also wrote that the bovine growth hormone (BST) was destroyed when
milk was pasteurized.  (SCIENCE, 8/24/90, Juskevich & Guyer).

THIS WAS A LIE AND FDA WAS AWARE OF THAT LIE!

They cited Jerome Moore for this important conclusion.  When I reviewed
Moore's paper there was no mention of this.  I checked all of the
references in the SCIENCE paper and found that the research was
performed by Paul Groenewegen in Guelph, Ontario.  The FDA reviewers had
mis-cited their reference.  I would have failed high school biology for
mis-citing a reference in my paper!

Groenewegen heated milk (his pasteurization method)for 162 degrees
fahrenheit for 30 minutes.  Normal pasteurization protocol at this
temperature calls for a 15 second heat exposure, not 30 minutes!

Even at 30 minutes Groenewegen only destroyed nineteen percent of the
BST.

What he did next, working with two Monsanto scientists, should be
recorded by science as one of the great FRAUDS in history.

He mixed powdered BST into milk, heated it, and destroyed it!  He then
concluded that heating milk destroys BST.

FDA took the fraudulent research and determined that milk was safe to
drink.  They also relieved Monsanto from developing a test for BST in
milk (while Monsanto had already developed such a test) and they excused
Monsanto from performing any further toxicology studies.

Perhaps heating milk with ginger, the Indian way, destroys the hormones.
I really don't know, as there is nothing in the scientific literature.

Perhaps an incantation or two would do the trick!

Robert Cohen