NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Feb 1997 06:02:11 EDT
I am told that traditional Ayurvedic practises (from India) teach that most (or
all) of the negative qualities of milk can be removed by heating it with some
fresh ginger-root until the first boil, then immediately removing from heat
before scalding occurs.

Does anyone know whether this process would be sufficient to deactivate the
bovine hormones?  Does the heating process make scientific sense with respect
to the other negative qualities of milk -- inappropriate form of calcium, etc??

I am told that drinking cow's milk, and using it in cooking, is a practise
which is many thousands of years old in India. This apparently contrasts with
points made earlier on this List about milk being a very recent addition to the
Western diet.

Bill Elkus
Los Angeles