NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Theresa McJunkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jan 1998 09:11:09 -0600
At 01:07 AM 1/31/1998 EST, you wrote:
>OK guys, help me to be the best school mom around.

The following recipes are from Tofu Cookery by Louise Hagler.  I have to
say I haven't tried them, but since I've now read them, I want to.

GINGERBREAD CUT-OUT COOKIES

Blend in a food processor or mixer until creamy:
1 c. sorghum or molasses
1 cup tofu (1/2 lb.)
1/4 c. oil

Mix together in a bowl:
3 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
3 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. allspice
1/8 tsp. cloves
1/8 tsp. nutmeg

Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and pulse or mix until blended.  Do
not over-mix or the cookies will be tough.  If you are mixing with a spoon,
you may have to use your hands to mix the last part.  Chill the dough
overnight.

Preheat oven to 350 Deg.F.

Roll out the dough 3/8" to 1/4" thick.  Cut in desired shaped and bake on
oiled cookie sheets for about 8 minutes.

Per very large cookie:  275 calories, 6 gm protein, 7 gm fat, 47 gm
carbohydrates.

CREAMY GLAZE TOPPING (from a cake recipe)

Blend in a blender until smooth and creamy:
1/2 lb. tofu
1 Tbsp. oil
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
3 Tbsp. honey
1/4 tsp. salt

my suggestion:  For a firmer texture, try confectioner's sugar instead of
honey.

another suggestion:  Strawberries could help with the pink look.