NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Theresa McJunkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 1998 17:06:23 -0600
At 03:36 AM 1/15/1998 -0000, you wrote:
>And sugar doesn't give me a big problem (I
>don't think).  I can certainly eat sweets and chocolate.

The book I recommended may convince you otherwise.  The author's
observations from her patients seem to suggest anything that stresses the
digestive process may be a culprit.  High sugar content in food requires a
fast, dramatic response from the body to keep the body within certain
parameters.  That's tiring for the body, sometimes.

Something to be careful of that I did to myself.  When I became a
vegetarian a few years ago, I filled in the gap with alot of dairy, bread,
eggs, and spaghetti.  As it turned out, these foods make me feel as bad as
the fast food I was eating so much of before.  So identifying problem foods
is good, but filling in with problem foods is bad.  And it may not be
immediately obvious that you are filling in with a problem food because
sometimes it takes a few days of eating it to recognize it.  That's why I
don't read labels as much as some, but still avoid the bulk sources of
dairy.  It seems to be a 'volume of dairy thing' for me.

QUESTION:  Has anyone observed having bad dreams after eating certain
foods?  I quit legumes for a long time then made a lentil dish recently and
have had several bad dreams.  I'm trying to decide if there's a connection.
 Respond off the list, unless it's dairy, so as not to bore anyone or muddy
up the list.