NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Theresa McJunkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 13:31:55 -0600
> I'm thinking about eliminating gluten, though the
>prospect is really daunting.

I have found that it has not been necessary for me eliminate every single
trace of dairy or gluten to stop my depression and fatigue.  I did
eliminate all bread that might contain gluten and I'm very happy with the
gluten-free bread that I get at my health food store.  I also only buy
gluten-free pasta and am very happy with it.  I don't eat pizza more than 5
times a year or so, maybe less, basically avoiding the gluten and dairy.
My friend has an excellent rice-crust, non-dairy pizza that she makes.
Rice and buckwheat are my primary carb sources.  I just bought a vegetarian
rice cookbook and have made the first 3 recipes:  borscht, chili, and
gumbo.  They are so good, I'm just going to work my way thru the cookbook
in order.  Lays regular potato chips seem not to bother me and serve as a
cracker substitute when I want something crunchy with my meal.

>Also I've read some comments on the list that seem to indicate gluten
>intolerance and food allergies are linked, and once the gut has had time
>to heal some allergies can disappear.

I have read (but cannot quote the source) that gluten and casein are
similar in chemical structure and have similar chemical activity in the
body.  This similarity has been used to explain why some casein-sensitive
people are also sensitive to gluten.  For some people, (perhaps all of
us?), the gut is damaged by the presence of a food or two, making it less
able to handle other foods well.  So by eliminating the ones that cause the
damage, the gut heals and the less irritating foods are once again
tolerable.  Then there is the blood and body's response to what gets thru
while the gut is damamged.  For some, actual allergies develop (maybe even
before birth).  For others, maybe just listlessness, joint aches, or
depression.  I know for myself that bed-wetting is caused by dairy, but I
have to get a significant serving for that particular response.  For me,
having no allergies, I think of gluten and dairy as affecting my entire
system, head (depression and anxiety) to toe (joint aches and chronic
fatigue), but I don't feel it so severely that I have to read labels very
critically.  I avoid the big obvious stuff like cake and rolls and loaves
of bread and "all" dairy products.  Living with these less rigid rules
allows me a little freedom at special events.