NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 1998 10:17:57 -0500
> She also cut them again after covering the bagel halves with dairy. I saw
>cheese/butter on the knife. I should just have said 'no thanks' and walked
>away.
>Instead I brazened it out and paid the price. Dumb huh?

Well, no - a learning experience. You now know better that your tolerance
for dairy products is nil, and that you've gotta ask in the future that
they use a clean knife. I now say: "I'd like a toasted bagel for my son,
but he's severely allergic to dairy products, nits, and eggs; could you
please cut it with a clean knife?" If they don't get it and just wipe the
knife with a dirty rag, I again say: "even the smallest spec can send him
to the emergency room." At that point they finally get it. If not, I'm
out'a there - forever. By now, I'm much less worried about coming across
rude; they need to know that, as food service workers, they can put
people's lives in jeopardy with their carelessness.

Mark Feblowitz