NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Paula Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 1997 09:09:55 -0400
 I still need help as I have made a decission to go ahead with project.   I
am going to try soy flour tonight to subsitutue for powdered milk.  Any other
last minute ideas??  It calls for 1 tsp of each powdered milk, peanutbutter
and corn syrup.

you asked
<< Is your teacher willing to work with you in planning projects for the
 class? >>

She is an excellent teacher and really is very understanding of the food
allergies.   I give her an a+ for accomodating and understanding how serious
to take this.  She called me last week at work to make sure nutmeg was not a
nut when they were making applesauce.  We decided some lesson plans that
involved allergens be subsitutued (like the first week of school).  This
Friday's  lesson includes peanutbutter (which I will subsitutue with soy
spread by Natures Touch) and the lesson is to watch how it mixes with corn
syrup to make a shape.  Since my son is around peanutbutter and dairy often
he is very careful to avoid people eating foods he is unsure of what they are
eating.   He has only had one anaphylatic reaction (to dairy)in 6 years and
at the time we sat in lobby of hospital but never admited.

as my kids get older my goal is to find the line that both the teacher and I
feel comfortable being on.  I have told teachers what to do..but some don't
hear it.  I have learned to ask them questions to make sure they understand
it and feel comfortable with it.  So far its working great.