NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Debbie Benstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 1997 08:26:35 +0200
M. Steiner wrote:

> No David, a Kosher restaurant that follows the kosher laws cannot, and will
> not have any milk or milk products in the establishment.  That would in
> itself make it unkosher.  Part of being kosher is NEVER mixing meat with
> milk.  (Even if both are by themselves certified kosher)
> Monica

Monica,

You are not exactly correct in your explanation. A kosher *meat*
restaurant will not have any milk on the premises. However, there are
many restaurants which have a kosher certification for *dairy*. These
restaurants will not have any meat on the premises. There are a very few
kosher restaurants which have certification for both meat and dairy. In
order to get this certification, everything from food to plates,
tableclothes and even seating arrangements must be kept separate for the
milk and meat sides. I would have no problem eating in a place like
that. It's really like two separate restaurants on one premises.

Hope this helps.

Debbie