NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 22:56:25 -0700
On Wed, 17 Sep 1997 11:11:24 -0700 D T MacAULAY
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
>My five year old daughter is asthmatic and allergic to milk,eggs and
>most nuts. A nutritionist told me that a child this age should be
>getting thirty percent of her calorie intake from fats. I am certain
>doesn't get close to this amount.  So far she has hated every soy and
>rice beverage we've tried, however I do bake with them.  I also add
>extra canola oil to my waffles and pancakes.  I would appreciate any
>suggestions for healthy fat sources.
>
>Darlene

I was looking through the Food section of our local paper today and it's
on vegetarianism.  There were some interesting (and some not so) recipes.
 Two of the ones that I thought sounded good might work for you.  One
uses Almonds, so I'm not sure about that.

Peach Ice Cream
(From Feel Good Foods in Santa Cruz)

1 1/4 c toasted almonds
9 ripe peaches, peeled
1 tbsp vanilla
2 cups Rice Dream
1 cup apple juice
1/4 cup maple syrup

In a blender, pulverize nuts.  Add peaches and puree.  Add remaining
ingredients and blend.  Follow manufacturer's instruction for your ice
cream maker.  Optional:  Saute fresh berries in a dessert wine such as
Bonny Doon Framboise for 2 minutes.  Spoon over ice cream.  Serves 6.

Strawberry Tofu Shake
(From "Delightful Tofu Cooking")

1 cup soft tofu, drained
1 cup soy milk
1/2 cup fresh strawberries, washed, drained
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla

In a blender, blend the tofu, soy milk, strawberries, sugar and vanilla
until very smooth.  Chill in refrigerator before serving.  Serves 2.