NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Lynda Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 22:12:48 EST
In a message dated 2/2/99 9:26:01 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> I've heard you should use acidophilus if you have had a lot of antibiotics
>  lately (I've used them about every 2 months for bronchitus) to restore the
>  bacteria that has been killed off with the antiobiotic for about 2 months .
>  What do you all think?

Yes, yes yes yes yes.  My son had two bouts of  C. Difficile colitis because
of antibiotics.  The "good bacteria"  were all killed off by antibiotics,
leaving the C. Diff bugs to take over.  It cost $450 in antibiotics each time
to get rid of the C.Diff.  We haven't had a problem since we started him on an
acidophilus supplement three years ago.

Acidophilus is naturally found in milk products (lactobacillus acidophilus) so
I would find it hard to believe that it would not be okay to use during
pregnancy.  There are non-milk derived sources of acidophilus for the milk
allergic folks.  but of course run it by your doc first.

Prenatal vitamins contain calcium so that should be okay.  You probably should
be careful about the calcium source (no oyster shells, for instance) while
pregnant.  Check with your doc, and  might want to talk with a nutritionist or
dietician if you think you need some guidance.

Lynda