NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jul 1998 14:19:23 -0400
>Hi - I am looking for a food log to monitor my daughter's
>daily diet and behavioral changes that result.
>
>Has anyone come across any type of log in a book, on a
>web page or even made their own that has been helpful that
>you can share with me which helps to track daily intake,
>activities, sleep etc. in kids?

We have a book at home that we got at Waterstones Book Store. It's a guide
to helping detect food allergies. I'll look up the name tonight.

Problem with logs is that there are too many variables. Too many things
change, there are too many ingredients to trace, and too many inhallant
allergens are out there to compilcate matters. And if the child is atopic
and therefore has multiple allergies, the complexity increases sharply for
each additional allergen.

Still, it may be worth a watch, if only to get an intuition of the trouble.
After watching my diet for several months, I got the impression that dairy
products were related to my arthritis - I had my worst flares the days
after an ice cream or pizza binge. Later I found out that I was allergic to
milk, in a way that - at that time - manifested itself in arthritis, not
respiratory symptoms (I have since become anaphylactically allergi to
dairy).

But the only way I truly found this out was to completely eliminate dairy,
not just watch, and I only did this because my GP said it might help my hay
fever. If I knew then what I know now, I would have clued in a little
faster.

When we had our hair-trigger allergic, eczemic, asthmatic son Josh, there
were enough food and inhalant allergens that merely looking for patterns
was far too difficult. Especially since his eczema flares were delayed
hours or day from when he was exposed to the trigger. The only real way we
could figure things out was to do a significant cleanup of the house, and
put him on a minimal diet.

Mark
Mark Feblowitz                  GTE Laboratories Incorporated
[log in to unmask]              40 Sylvan Road, Waltham, MA 02154-1120