NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jul 1998 11:59:53 -0400
As the subject says, I am in search of lactose-free non-sedating
antihistamine. My current low-dose BromfedPD, a combination of sedating
brompheniramine and stimulating pseudoephedrine, at half the usual adult
strength. In combination with nasal steroids and eye drops, this has held
me quite well, except for the very worst of the season, during which I
double up and tolerate the side effects.

But it's early in the season and I am suffering - probably due to the El
Nino-triggered warm, wet winter plus the high mold counts resulting from
our recent record-setting rainfall and our second 100-year storm in 18
months(!).

So I am looking for a non-sedating antihistamine. I am currently trying out
Claritin. However, I am both LI and dairy-allergic. Early indications are
that even the small amounts of lactose in the twice-per-day Claritin pills
are a problem for me. I'm also not sure if Claritin is going to be strong
enough - I'll give it a few more days.

I know that there are lactose-free versions of Claritin (the 24-hr
Claritin-D and the REDITabs) and also a liquid pediatric form (but I'd have
to take 10 tsp. for and adult dose!).

If it turns out that Claritin does not work for me, I'd like to know what
else is out there that is lactose-free and non-sedating that is not
Claritin.

Any suggestions?

Mark
Mark Feblowitz                  GTE Laboratories Incorporated
[log in to unmask]              40 Sylvan Road, Waltham, MA 02154-1120