NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Joanne Slotterback <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 09:56:53 EDT
Regarding the difficulties children with milk allergies may encounter at
school, parties, etc. I have made a practice of speaking to my
daughter's teachers at the beginning of the school year (classroom,
specials, band, chorus, etc.) to explain her food allergies and alert
them to how they can help Jamie feel less "left out" when treats are
sent to school. I periodically send a box with safe treats to the
teacher to keep in her closet in the event a surprise treat is sent in
to the class. I ask the teacher to show Jamie where it is kept in the
event a treat is sent in to the class when a substitute teacher is in
for the day. I also ask that if the treat is planned to please let me
know in advance so that I can send in a comparable safe treat for Jamie
so that her treat is similar to the rest of the class. I also contacted
the room mothers. They have been great in notifying me ahead of time
about parties and detailing the food items that will be served. I can OK
specific things and send in comparable treats for Jamie. This has worked
great for us. The safety patrol advisor supplies hot chocolate to the
safeties on real cold mornings. She gives Jamie hot tea in place of hot
chocolate. We have found that most people are understanding--they just
need to be educated.

About chocolate--Paul Newman makes a dark chocolate bar that is dairy
free. There are several different varieties--not all dairy free. The
dairy-free bar is in a pink wrapper. In addition to regular size candy
bars, it also comes in 1-inch square packets (25 cents each at our local
health food store). I find these great replacements for small chocolate
treats that may be distributed to kids. Our local health food store also
sells small wrapped non-dairy chocolate. It comes in various
shapes--hearts at Valentine's Day, eggs at Easter, globes for
non-holiday times, etc. It can be purchased by the pound or by the
individual piece.

Joanne in NJ