NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 11:29:06 -0500
>This is amazing. All these years we've believed my son (who's 5 now) was
>allergic to Amoxicillin, Ceclor and Bactrim, because of allergic reactions he
>had to all three; no doctor ever made the connection that the medications may
>have contained milk-based fillers!
>Unbelievable!
>I'm so thankful someone asked the question .... thanks so much for the
>information. I'll be checking up on this with our doctors and the pharmacist!

It sounds like a lot of people are leaping to conclusions, without
evidence. Except for the lacose buffering possibility for adult-strength
pills, I have never seen a milk product in these antibiotics.

That is not to say, however, that other ingredients in the liquid
suspensions or the chewables are not at fault. There are quite a few
different colorants, flavors, and sweeteners that can be problematic. But,
if this were the case, I would expect to see reactions to other liquid
suspension and chewable medications. Regardless, it's worth a look.

Mark Feblowitz