NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Joanne Slotterback <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 12:01:52 EDT
A few people requested this recipe I mentioned in an earlier post--

Cauliflower "Au Gratin"

1-2 heads cauliflower
1 med. onion, diced
1 1/4 c. rice milk (or soy milk)
3/4 c. water
3 T. raw cashew nuts
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. white pepper
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
3 T. oil
1/3 c. flour
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. nutritional yeast
Dairy-free bread crumbs
Paprika

Cut the cauliflower into medium pieces and put in bowl with onions. Set
aside.

Blend the rice (or soy) milk, water, cashews, salt, white & black
pepper, nutmeg, garlic powder, and nutritional yeast in a blender until
smooth. Pour into a saucepan and gently heat, stirring often. Meanwhile,
heat the oil in a small saucepan. Add the flour to make a roux. Then
whisk the heated rice milk mixture into the roux to make a light, creamy
sauce. For a thicker sauce, use more roux. Pour the sauce over the
vegetables and stir.

Oil a casserole dish. Pour the vegetable and sauce mixture into the
casserole dish and press lightly. Sprinkly bread crumbs over the
vegetables and cover with paprika.

Cover and bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 45 to 55 minutes.

My 11-yr-old loved this dish. She had not been satisfied with any other
cheese substitute I have tried over the past year. She was thrilled to
be able to have a "cheesy" vegetable! As I mentioned in the other post,
my non-allergic guests had no idea this was an adapted recipe.
Personally, I thought it tasted more like a cream sauce than a cheese
sauce, but that may be because I knew the ingredients.

P.S. I buy the nutritional yeast at a local health food store. This
store keeps it in the refrigerated area.

--Joanne in NJ