NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Helen Edith Stephenson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 11:02:54 +0000
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Don Wiss
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>On Tue, 27 Jan 1998, Jill A Sobel wrote:
>
>> Its called SoySingles by Somage, here are the ingredients:
>
>>  and natural flavoring.
>
>I have a problem doing business with people that use this euphemism. Sure
>I could call and try to find what's in it, but I don't want to and I
>shouldn't have to. Here they are claiming the product is dairy-free, that
>what about the other things I'm trying to avoid?
>
>Don W.

Hear, hear!

I get very annoyed with the manufacturers of frozen food products who
list "batter" as a primary ingredient. "Batter" may or may not contain
either or both of milk and eggs.

Bird's Eye are usually fairly good about breaking "batter" down into its
component parts, and their "batter" is usually milk and egg free, at
least on products in breadcrumbs, but Sainsbury's don't bother on their
own brand products, and I don't want the hassle of having to chase them
to find out what's in their "batter" in a whole range of products, so I
don't buy them.

I have already emailed the new UK Food Standards Agency at
[log in to unmask] and requested that they do something about
labels which list such ingredients as "batter" and "mayonnaise".
"Natural flavouring" sounds like another candidate to add to my list of
less than helpful labels.

Helen.
--
Helen Edith Stephenson  <[log in to unmask]>
                        http://www.baronmoss.demon.co.uk/