NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Dawn Hyatt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 1997 12:21:52 -0600
Hi,

I don't know how many of you subscribe to the soyfoods directory/mailing
list but these are a couple of dairy free recipes they featured in this
month's newsletter that I thought I would pass along to the rest of you.

If you don't subscribe currently, there is info at the bottom of this email
on how to do so for those who are interested.

PROSOY RECIPES

Banana-Oat Pancakes

Toss these together in five minutes.

1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup unbleached flour
1/4 cup soy flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1-1/2 cups plain soymilk
2 bananas, thinly sliced

1.  In a large bowl, combine the rolled oats, unbleached flour, soy flour,
and baking powder. Add the soymilk, and blend with a few swift strokes.
Fold in the banana slices.
2.  Pour 1/4 cup of the batter onto a hot nonstick griddle or pan. Cook for
about 2 minutes or until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip the pancake
and cook for another minute or until heated through.
3.  Serve the pancakes with maple syrup, fruit spread, or applesauce.

Yield: 12 pancakes.
Per pancake: 103 calories; 3 grams protein; 1 gram fat; 20 grams
carbohydrate; 12% fat.

Melissa Goldman's Pasta With Cream Sauce and Mushrooms

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound pasta, cooked
2 tablespoons chopped onions
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
2 cups fresh vegetables, cut into small pieces (try broccoli, mushrooms,
cauliflower, and zucchini)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup margarine
1/4 cup white wine
1-2/3 cups soymilk
1 teaspoon oregano
1/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf

1.  In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over low heat. Add the onion and
garlic,and saute until tender.
2.  Add the oregano, thyme, and rosemary, and saute a few minutes more.
3.  Add the wine and bring to a boil.
4.  Add the soymilk, margarine, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Return the
mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally until the margarine melts.
5.  Add the flour a tablespoon at a time, whisking after each addition to
avoid lumps. Stir until the mixture thickens, about 2 minutes.
6.  Place the vegetables in a steamer or metal sieve over boiling water and
steam until just tender.
7.  To serve, toss the vegetables with the freshly cooked pasta. Pour the
sauce over the pasta and vegetables, and toss to mix.

Yied: 4 servings.
Per serving: 631 calories; 19 grams protein; 19 grams fat, 94 grams
carbohydrate; 27% fat.