NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"M. Steiner" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 1997 20:10:21 -0800
> Monica,
>
> I wonder if you could make your own cheesecake by substituting the cream
> cheese for the tofutti 'better than cream cheese' product.  My son adores
> this product on toast but I have not tryed baking with it.  Might be
worth
> the effort.
I'm trying to remember what is the product you are talking about.  I think
I've seen it (and maybe bought it) a long time ago in a kosher market.
Unfortunately in the area I live in now, there are no kosher places to find
the "good stuff."  But I will call around and go to wherever it is, I'm
craving cheesecake.  I'll let you know if it works out.
I left a message also in the Jewish cooking newsgroup, hoping somebody
there had a recipe.  I have to check back.
Some other people have told me of recipes with regular tofu, and without
eggs.  (vegan diet) but what  I  crave has eggs and fat... ;-) not the
typical vegan diet food.
Thank you  for the idea, and if you know or remember the name, it will help
to call around.  I live in the L.A. suburbs, so most things are available
somewhere.

> I had bought a dairy free cheese cake about 6 years ago in a specialty
shop
> but have not seen it since. Unfortunately do not remember the
manufacturer
> but do remember it was great (and very expensive).

Do you remember what kind of specialty shop?  It's probably the kind of
thing that I ate a few year ago.  It tasted just like the real thing.
Take care and stay well,
Chao,
Monica