NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Lisa Francoeur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 1997 11:12:49 EDT
I just wanted to add some information from a conversation I just had with
my allergist on this subject.  I was wondering if we'd be better off
switching to formula and avoiding the whole allergens in my diet thing.
His comments were that she's probably gotten most of the immunological
benefits and allergy protection that she's going to get (almost 6 months
old and has started solids).  At this point it's mostly a social and
bonding thing.

I think your Allergist needs to do more research:  The following is from the
ARTICLE  Nursing Beyond the First Year by Sally Kniesel from New Beginnings
Vol 6 NO4  July-august 1990  PP 99-103.  This is a publication of LaLeche
League.

A second benefit is immunity to disease. The immunities in breast milk have
been shown to increase in
concentration as the baby gets older and nurses less, so older babies still
receive lots of immune factors
(Goldman et al, 1983). A study from Bangladesh provides a dramatic demon-
stration of the effect these
immunities can have. In this deprived environment, it was found that weaning
children eighteen to thirty-six
months old doubled their risk of death (Briend et al, 1988). This effect was
attributed mostly to breast milk's
immune factors, although nutrition was probably important as well. Of course
in developed countries weaning is
not a matter or life and death, but continued breastfeeding may mean fewer
trips to the doctor's office.

Lisa F.  mom to Hunter who has problems with Dairy.