Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 1998 11:27:15 -0600
From:
Ian Wahl <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Listmembers,

It is very exciting to see wheat free recipes in Vegetarian Times.  I just
went to look at my copy and read the ingredients in the recipes.  I was
concerned how a "creamy" recipe could be vegan (no milk) and found the
reason is that they use ROLLED OATS in the recipe.  I suppose you could
substitute for something gluten free like sweet rice flour.  Also, some of
the ingredients in the other recipes are suspicious like dijon mustard
(might have distilled vinegar) and sesame tahini (make sure it's GF).

I think that we could send recipes for gluten free veggie meals and baked
goods, but an explanation of Celiac Disease, and the difference between
just wheat free and gluten free, might be in order to clarify any
confusion.  My husband and I subscribe to this magazine because, even
though we are not vegetarian, we are dairy and egg intolerant, and they
have some great vegan recipes.  There were actually some recipes using
cooked rice in one of the latest issues of Woman's Day magazine.  We are
finally getting the message across to mainstream society, little by little.

Maybe we could coordinate our efforts to avoid sending duplicate recipes to
Vegetarian Times.  Does anyone have any idea how to do this?  I volunteer
to coordinate the effort if people want to send me their recipes.

Thanks.

Bev Wahl