From:
Patrick Dean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 1997 10:26:22 -0400

At 11:58 PM 10/7/97 -0000, Cathy Flick wrote:

>This is hard to believe -- I went to Catholic schools (my mother was
>Catholic), and I distinctly remember being taught that other things can
>be substituted in time of need. The trick, though, is in convincing the
>local priest who might not be so aware of the real health need as well as
>exactly how that ties in with the "rules".

Unfortunately, in the case of communion, the Catholic church does not
recognize any other alternatives.  As ridiculous as it sounds, the rule
comes from a church law passed hundreds of years ago.  At the council of
Trent in the 1500's the church decided to legislate that all host used for
the sacrament of communion must be made of wheat flour.  They introduced
the law to prevent churches from using just anything as host.  While some
priests are open to a substitution, the church as a whole is opposed.

> Maybe look for celiac priests as a starting point? Which reminds me -- I
>know for sure that alcoholic priests are allowed to substitute something
>other than wine in the part of the Mass where they drink the wine and eat
>the large communion wafer. So I can't imagine that celiac priests would
>be eating a wheat wafer.

Last year (maybe the year before) the Catholic Church made a decision to
reject candidates for priesthood who suffer from either alcoholism or
celiac disease.  The theory is that since alcoholics and celiacs cannot
properly partake in the Eucharist, they could not possibly administer this
sacrament as priests.
Alcoholic priests ordained before the new rule are allowed to drink grape
must instead of wine.  As much as I am sure some priest somewhere must have
celiac disease I cannot say what they would use for the host.  If they
follow church law then they probably suffer the wrath of gluten all too
often.

>Of course, the wheat now used for communion wafers is undoubtedly not the
>same type of wheat used back 2000 years ago....

You're right.  And this is what makes the rule seem so ridiculous.  But
it's the rule.

I don't think that Celiacs should give up, but at the moment the Pope and
his council are well aware of Celiac disease and continue to enforce a law
passed  long ago.

As for my wife and myself (we both have celiac), we've made arrangements
with our church to receive the wine inconspicuously at the side of the
altar just after the Eucharist ministers receive it.
It works well and for now I'm satisfied.

Good Health

Patrick
Toronto ON
Patrick Dean