From:
BETSEY SILVERMAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 1997 20:46:38 EDT

HI!

I was so encouraged by the wonderful response I received from all of you
that I have continued to pursue this issue.

First a summary of my responses from others who did not receive GF food
when they specifically ordered gluten free food from the airlines.

6 - people had similar experiences with Continental Airlines
1- person responded with same on Delta
1- person responded with same on United

I also received 4 additional responses re: Questions on how I deal with
Celiac/DH in general.  It was great to hear from all of you and I think I
did respond to all who contributed.  If I missed you, I apologize..please
try again and I will get back to you.

As a follow up,  this is what I have been doing:

1.      I sent email to CSA/USA (Celiac Sprue Association) and
        requested they might consider contacting the airlines on behalf
of us as a group.  I felt that a group would have more impact that 1
        lone person, even though I wrote to the President at Continental.

2.      As of today, I spoke with the Dining Services of Continental
Airlines.  The Chef apologized for my not having GF meals and said that
it should never have happened.  He said they have a manual with
specifications for GF food.  He said that he would try to track down
where the weak link was.  He even faxed me a copy of a guide for GF menus
for my input.   All the foods listed were certainly GF, however, I told
him in a return fax, that I had never been served any of those foods. (
Maybe they only go to First Class passengers.) He promised to pursue the
problem and find where it breaks down. He said somewhere, someone is not
following the Dining Service Specs.

Since he took the time to fax me his menus for my input, I trust that he
and the Dining Service at Continental truly are trying for us.

 I giving you this information now, as  I am sure it will take several
more weeks before I hear anything again from either CSA/USA or
Continental Dining Service.

I will update all of you further, when I receive a response or more
information.

Thanks again for your encouragement!!  KEEP WELL

Betsey - NJ