From:
Linda Blanchard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 1997 19:42:24 -0500

I am posting this on behalf of Eugene Hill who had difficulty getting it
posted to the List. Please email any answers back to Eugene
(mailto:[log in to unmask]) and he will summarize back to the list as
appropriate. Thanks!

I am celiac, diagnosed and on a GF diet for about 5 years.  I am 65.  My son,
age 31 has been diagnosed with Kidney failure and will need a kidney
transplant.  I am about to be medically evaluated as a kidney donor.  While
my age may be a disqualifying factor after more complete medical evaluation,
I have not been disqualifed because of celiac.  I  have two questions.  1.  Is
there any celiac who has experience as a kidney donor that can share that
experience with  me.  2.  I am told by the transplant physicians that there
is no possibility to transmit the celiac condition to my son.  However, my
reading indicates that if he genetically disposed to the disease the surgery
could be a factor to trigger onset, no matter who is the donor.  This creates
a question about anti-rejection medicines requaired after surgery.

Anyone with some experience to guide me.  My medical evaluation as a donor
starts next week.

Eugene Hill, Davis CA