From:
Chris Silker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 1997 09:20:05 -0600

Hi all - Thanks to everyone who sent me snickerdoodle recipes and tips!
Apparently this is a craving that strikes many among us. :) I've only had
the chance to try the first recipe; it worked out so well, I might not make
it to the others. My two gluten consuming roommates DEVOURED these and even
fought with each other over the few cookies that remained this morning -
what higher compliment? ;> I included a note in that recipe about what I
used for flour. The cookies hold together like gluten-containing cookies
both when right out of the oven and when they cool - but they get crumbly
if you warm them up in the microwave later.

My latest question - does anyone have a good book that lists food additives
and food ingredients, including what they might be made of?

Thanks - enjoy the recipes!

Chris
Minneapolis, MN

--------------
        A guy in our local group makes the best things, one of them being
snickerdoodles. I think one of his secrets is that he's developed his own
mix to use with most of his baking, including bread. His mix will follow
the cookie recipe. Be sure not to overbake them. Take them out before they
brown and they'll be terrific.

Snickerdoodles

1 c. butter             2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 c. sugar          2 tsp. cream of tartar
2 eggs                  1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. xanthan      1/2 tsp. salt
2 3/4 c. GF flour mix (or 1/2 rice flour and 1/2 sweet rice flour)
[note from Chris - I used 1/4 c tapioca flour, 1 1/4 c sweet rice flour,
and 1 1/4 c rice flour (from an Oriental market) - it worked perfectly!]
        Beat together butter, sugar, eggs. Stir dry ingred. together and slowly
add to butter mixture. Chill dough. Roll into walnut size balls and roll in
mix of 2 Tbsp. sugar and 2 tsp. cinnamon.
        Place 2" apart on cookie sheet. Bake at 350* until barely browned but
still soft, approx. 10-12 min. They puff up at first, then flatten when
cooling with crinkled tops.

Tim's Flour Mix ( we are able to purchase these at an oriental market cheaply)
4  1 lb. bags of rice flour
1  1 lb. bag of glutinous/sweet rice flour
1  14 oz. bag of tapioca flour
        Have fun baking and testing!
----------------
Hi, I was just having the same craving
yesterday.  The Sugar cookie mix from the
Gluten Free Pantry makes a great snikerdoodle
(and the recipe is in their cookbook for the mix).
 My non gf employees enjoyed the cookies as
well.
----------------
Below is my recipe for Snickerdoodles, modified from the Gold
Medal Flour bag (back before I became celiac, that's the recipe I used).
Hope this works for you; enjoy!

1-1/2 c. supgar
1/2 cup margarine/butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening (Crisco works well)
3 eggs (I've been using extra large)
2-3/4 cups flour (Ener-G's Gourmet Blend, or Bette Hagman's blend)
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. sugar mixed with 2 tbsp. cinnamon OR 4 tbps. colored sugar
[Chris note - I would add some xanthan gum and substitute sweet rice flour
for 1/2 the flour to help these hold together; haven't tried this recipe
yet, however]

Oven 375 degrees.  Blend margarine and shortening thoroughly in a large
bowl. Mix in 1-1/2 cups sugar, then eggs.  In a separate bowl, combine the
flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.  Mix flour mixture into egg
mixture.  Chill dough for about 1/2 hour-45 min. or until fairly  firm.
Pinch off pieces of dough, about the size of a small walnut, and  quickly
shape into a ball in your hands.  Roll dough balls in
sugar/cinnmon mixture and place 2" apart on an ungreased cookie sheet (I
like Airbake sheets). Bake 12 minutes, or until a finger makes no dent. Let
cool for a minute or two on the cookie sheet, then remove to a wire rack to
cool completely.  Makes about 60 cookies.
Sometimes these get a bit crumbly, or fall apart from the middle.  One
thing to try is to actually grease the cookie sheet before rolling the
dough and baking.  For some reason, the extra (!) grease crisps up the
bottoms a bit. Happy Snickerdoodling! :-)
--------------------
I don't have a recipe, but I got some dandy snickerdoodles from
Gluten-Free Delights, P.O. Box 284, Cedar Falls, IA 50613, phone
319-266-7197. I don't have any financial interest  in this source,
but they have some pretty good stuff that I like to eat. Including
other kinds of cookies, English-style muffins, donut holes, and
coffee cake.
Good luck and good health!
-----------------
Here is a recipe from the box of White Cake Mix from "Dietary Specialties"
The above company sells GF products.

"Snickerdoodles"
1 pouch white cake mix  (comes 2 pouches in a box.
1/3 cup margarine
2 eggs

Heat oven to 350 deg.  using elect. mixer or fork cut margarine into cake
mix. add eggs and mix until just blended. form into 1" balls and roll into
mixture of 2 Tbls granulated sugar, 2 teas. Cinnamon. place on an ungreased
cookie sheet and bake 12-15 minutes. cool on wire rack.  makes about 28
cookies
--------------
I don't have a Snickerdoodle recipe, but why don't you try Sugar Cookies II
 from The GL Gourmet Cooks Fast and Healthy?  Instead of rolling the
cookies  out, roll in a ball and then roll in sugar and powdered sugar?

Buy a regular cookbook, and when it says flour, substitute 3 parts white
rice flour + 1 part sweet rice flour. (2 cups wheat flour = 1+1/2 c white
rice flour + 1/2 c sweet rice flour)  The sweet rice flour is crucial
because it is sticky and somewhat heavy and acts as a binder to the regular
rice flour, much like wheat gluten does.  I have used this combination for
several years now and have never been disappointed in the results.  I buy
the sweet rice flour at a local Asian market, but it is also available at
Ener-g.  Happy baking.