From:
Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 1997 09:32:11 -0700

              This morning <[log in to unmask]> (no name given)
wrote:
>well, of you who replied to me that a 3yr old isn't too young to be
>tested need to give your head a shake!

>my 3yr old son is being tested today
>- he can not eat past midnight last nite
>- he is expected to be at the hospital for 5hrs this morning
>- during this time period they want to take 3 blood tests, and
>a urine sample - we are unaware if he can eat or drink during
>this 5hr period

It sounds like this is a biopsy being done under anethesia, which is
how my son was diagnosed.  This procedure can be done on children
much younger than yours -- I have read of 14 month olds having it.

>i do not feel my 3yr old is different from many other 3yr olds,
>how does anyone expect him to sit still thru this ordeal!

If it is like my son's, we will not have to sit still, he'll be asleep.
The ordeal was much more stressful on the parents than on the child.  My
son was given some spiked apple juice to drink, got drowsy and did not
object to the IV being placed, then he was "out".

>last week someone replied to me that it was a simple test
>(like having your finger pricked) HELLO!!!!!!!!!!

I believe that you may be referring to my email to you.  What I said
was that the endomysial blood test (a screen usually done first, to
see whether it is worthwhile to do the biopsy) can actually be done
on blood taken from a finger prick ... although, as I said in my email to
you, it is generally done with a standard venipuncture.  I certainly did
not say that an intestinal biopsy was as simple as having your finger
pricked.

>to finish i simply told my wife that if it gets to crazy,
>and stressed for her or my son "TO WALK!"

We don't know anything about your particular situation of course, but if
your child has already had a positive endomysial blood test and they now
are doing the biopsy, getting a definite diagnosis will be incredibly
valuable and IMHO well worth the hassle.

Bill Elkus
Los Angeles