From:
Graham J KENT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 1997 23:54:15 +0100

To confirm the post I sent yesterday, I contacted Colman's of Norwich
this morning. I spoke to Sarah Nolan who very obviously knew the subject
of the Coeliac Condition and other "digestive" disorders!

After explaining the purpose of my call the conversation went as follows:

Graham : Is it true that there are two types of Colman's English Mustard
powder produced ?
Sarah : YES

The first is called Double Superfine, is produced for the UK market and
DOES contain 10% wheat flour. It is NOT gluten free (HER words !).

The second is called GENUINE Double Superfine, is produced for the
AMERICAN market and ONLY contains Mustard flour. The GENUINE Double
Superfine IS gluten free.

Graham : Is there any way to tell the difference between the two ?
Sarah : YES, the GENUINE Double Superfine has the word GENUINE on the
label.

Graham : May I quote you ?
Sarah : YES, I am Sarah Nolan, Nutritional Manager of Van Den Bergh
Foods !

There was one additional piece of good news for us Brits - we can obtain
the GENUINE type by mail order from the Colman's Shop in Norwich ... but
I had to cut the call short - I was late for work !

So, I apologize to everyone for all the confusion ! It would appear that
ONE tiny little word (guess which one) has caused a lot of animosity !!

I would like to apologize to Lynda Swink of Southern California ... you
put a lot of effort into advising of a product that IS GLUTEN-FREE only
to be faced with a barrage of denials. I'm sorry that the OMISSION of
the word GENUINE (which I could not have been aware of) caused such
friction between us.

May I ask that we all learn from this :

1. ONE extra word (or one less) on a label could mean that the
ingredients have been changed !

2. If commenting about the Gluten attributes of a product (food or
otherwise), please ensure that ALL the details you quote are included.
If you are not sure, please ask for a private message on the subject
first.

3. If someone tells you that your information is wrong, please ask
yourself "Could they be correct ?? Did I make a mistake or leave
something out or add extra words (etc.) ???".  NOTE : I had to admit my
error over Colman's Mustard because I told someone (off the Net) that
Colman's always added wheat flour ...

4. A product which is safe "here" may not be safe 10 miles down the road
(i.e. across the Canada/US border). It helps, therefore, to add your
location to your messages.

Thank you for reading my lecture <;-)

I'm off to find the address of Colman's Shop in Norwich ... bye.

Graham KENT
An english Coeliac from Lincoln, England