From:
Graham J KENT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Sep 1997 00:43:08 +0100

Digest of responses concerning Coleman's English Mustard

Phil from New Zealand also wrote on 01 September :
> Graham, last time I looked at Colman's mustard powder it listed wheat flour
> on the label. I now buy mustard seeds and grind my own in a mortar and
> pestle. Seems that in NZ we receive the same stuff that you do!

Lynda from Southern California added on 05 September a quote from a FAX
from Van Den Bergh Foods:
> WARRANTY
>
> "We (Vanden Bergh Foods) hereby warrant that [begin underline] Coleman's
> Double Superfine Warranted Pure English Mustard Powder [end underline]... "
>
> "Additionally, we warrant that Colman's Double Superfine...Mustard Powder
> is manufactured in the UK by Colman's of Norwhich and [begin underline]
> contains only derivatives of ground mustard seed and therefore can be
> considered suitable for people consuming a gluten free diet."  [end
> underline]
>
> Signed:   Dr. John Scholey
> VdBF Deputy Company Quality Manager

A Colman's Mustard enthusiast whom I contacted about this subject
received a message from a member of Colman's and forwarded it to me :
> I think I have solved our problem... this is what I got from Richard
> Green, with the Colman's Dry Food Unit in Norwich. He used the feedback
> form on my website. Please Read...
>
> <---------- snip! --------------->
> There are two basic types of Colman's mustard,
> GDX (Genuine Double Superfine) and DSF (Double Superfine).
> The GDX is the export mustard to USA, Europe, Scandinavia and Hong Kong; and
> is just mustard flour and spices.
>
> The DSF mustard has 10% Wheatflour added to it. So the GDX is hotter and
> suitable for those allergic to wheat flour.
>
> Regards,
> Richard Green
> Colman's Dry Foods Unit,
> Norwich

================
End of Responses
================

Personal Summary :

1. Colman's English Mustard (both powdered and ready mixed) in the U.K.,
Australia and New Zealand DOES contain wheat flour.

2. Colman's English Mustard (powdered only discussed) MAY or MAY-NOT
contain wheat flour when supplied to USA, Europe (outside UK),
Scandinavia and Hong Kong.

3. Much confusion is caused by the lack of standards around the world in
food ingredient labelling.

4. Much animosity and confusion has been caused by this topic! The
Listowners sent their own message in an attempt to calm the waters which
requested that :

        a. All posters should verify the details they post.
        b. The area (country etc.) applicable should be mentioned in the post.

5. My own request is that posters should remember that it is not we
Coeliacs (celiacs) who manufacture the foods we enquire about and that
each state or country can have different tastes and ingredients (eg
Kellogg's use different grains in their breakfast cereals for USA and
Canada). It is NOT, therefore, for us to assume the final word .....

6. The areas that replies came from were : England, Australia, New
Zealand, California and Hawaii.

Graham KENT
An English COELIAC from Lincoln, England

PS If Celiacs from other countries have a similar problem over mustard,
I would be happy to collate the comments.

PPS I apologise for quoting the names of those who responded on this
subject. I know that this is unusual, but I do not wish to continue a
trans-atlantic mustard war.