From:
Elizabeth Inches <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Sep 1997 16:34:25 -0700

I want to thank everyone who responded to my NEWBIE post of 8/31/97,
asking the question of whether I would benefit from pursuing a diagnosis
for CD.

100% of respondents said to pursue a diagnosis, mostly by biopsy. A few
said the blood test would be a good place to start. Everyone agreed that
the diagnosis must come from an MD who is well versed in Celiac Disease.

A few shared very touching, personal stories, and I thank you for your
openness. There were several suggestions for dietary changes/challenges
as well as vitamin supplementation.

Several had multiple illnesses to deal with.

One said not to forget to have a Bone Mineral Density test done.

I have spoken 3 or 4 times now with Janet Rinehart, the Houston Support
Coordinator (Natl Chairperson as well), and visited with her once in
person. She is one of the nicest and most helpful people I've met! She
loaded me up with lots of information, including a new cookbook by Carol
Fenster "Special Diet Solutions" that address some of my other dietary
restrictions (sugar, yeast, dairy). She gave me the name of several
doctors who specialize in CD and sit on the CD Advisory Board. I decided
I'd go see Janet's doctor, who is a board member, and best of all, he
was in my insurance plan! Last Thurs (9/4), I called to make an appt
with Dr. Verm (Baylor College of Medicine), knowing he probably couldn't
see me for a month. Well, guess what, I'm seeing him this Tues (9/9)!!
I'll be armed with my medical records and medical history and an open
mind and a prayer. I'm praying for answers, whatever they might be.

I'll post again when I have some news (either way) to share. Thanks to
each of you again for taking the time to respond.

Warmly,
Elizabeth Inches