Date:
Sat, 4 Apr 1998 17:59:21 -0600

Many thanks to all who responded to my request for information regarding
kosher chicken and beef bouillon/stock cubes.  I will summarize as best as
I possibly can.

Just because a product says that it is kosher does not guarantee its being
gluten free.  It could have matzoh flour in it, which is a no no.  If it
does not contain matzoh of any kind, it CAN  be considered gluten free.
Many times kosher foods contain corn starch so that may be of concern to
some.

***It's the "kosher for Passover" part that gives the clues about gluten.
The only gluten-containing grain allowed is matzoh.  So anything that is
Kosher for Passover" that doesn't have matzoh or a derivative like "passover
cake meal" in it should be GF.

***The only questionable ingredient in Telma Bouillion Cubes is MSG.  There
may have been a definitive decision on this lately, but when I was
diagnosed, I was told that MSG sometimes has a sugar beet base, but others
may include forbidden grains.  So, for 22 years, I have touched nothing with
MSG in it.

***Kosher for Passover means no flour, but it could have a matzoh base (this
is definitely not GF).  Parve, means no dairy products are in it (milk,
cheese etc)

Many Passover products are GF (as they use potato starch), but you have
to be careful of matzoh, matzoh meal being mixed in

***First of all - Not everything that is Kosher to Pessach (passover) is GF.
there is some weird invention of Matza flour which contains G, yet is
kosher.

***the product you mentioned, being Kosher for Passover, means that it
contains NO LEAVENED ingredients, and  it probably has potato starch, it
would definitely NOT contain wheat starch.  Kosher for Meat Dishes means
that there are NO DAIRY or any sort of milk-derived ingredients.  This
comes from the Biblical commandment not to cook a calf in its mother's
milk- so  in NO certified Kosher products will you ever see dairy
ingredients if the product is intended for use with meat. You might also
want to check out a brand name called "Carmel" If You call a local
synagogue in your area, they could tell you which stores carry kosher for
passover products.  A standard is Potato Starch and some manufacturers have
printed recipes on the package for a sponge cake made from the potato
starch and egg whites- wheat free!

Some respondents offered suggestions to alternative stock/bouillon:

**I am not the strictest on a GF diet, but I use Knorr boullion with no ill
effect.

**I use 100% chicken and beef broth instead of bouilion because I have
been unable to find a GF boulion.  The brand I use is Health Valley.  It is
good.  I hope this helps.

**I talked yesterday and today with Hormel - 1-800-523-4635 - and they
indicated that both the Herb Ox Chicken and Beef cubes are GF.

I will note that I also called Hormel and was told that they make NO gluten
free bouillon products.  I'm not sure what to think about this. It is a
little disconcerting to know that getting correct information is based on
who answers the phone!!

Hope this helps.  I appreciate all the many responses.

kris
wichita