Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 1997 06:06:54 -0700
From:
Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>

Several weeks ago, I made a post to the List asking for comments by anyone
who has worked at Burger King or McDonalds on whether there were violations
of the corporate policies requiring strict separation of the French Fry oil
from the oil vats for frying gluten products (e.g. onion rings).

I would like to thank the many people who replied.  Several people had
specific examples of times they personally witnessed commingling of gluten
products and fries in the same oil.  Many others said they have never seen
it, one in 12 years working at a McDonalds.  Many commented that the taste
of the fries is compromised by non-potato products, so the staff has
non-Celiac reasons for keeping things separate.

The obvious lesson is that before eating fries at a Burger King or
McDonalds, one needs to check with the manager on the current status of
their operation -- are any of the oil vats broken?  did they have a busy
period which required them to commingle?  While it is a nuisance to keep on
asking, it appears to be a practical necessity.  We try to establish a
relationship with the manager in the units near our home.  This expedites
our inquiry, and hopefully increases the chance that we will get an honest
reply.

Bill Elkus
Los Angeles