VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 20:50:01 -0600
To pick up on mark's Linux thread, this was posted to the Linux access
list by the developer of the only screen reader for this operating
system, T. V. ramon.

kelly

From: T. V. Raman <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]

the disease goes much deeper.

In the last few years many so called "accessibility
professionals" have laughed openly in talking about linux in
general and systems like emacspeak in particular with the
statement "that stuff is irrelevant to a student" and "a
student needs to use MS word if he/she needs to find a job"

Personally,  I dont think I'd want a job where using Word
was considered a "skill"-- students ought to be learning to
write rather than learning to use a word processor.
This malady has gone so deep in the field of
training of visually impaired users that at this point the
average student with a visual impairment probably spends
more (most) of his/her time learning tools that were never
designed to be used in a non-visual setting
and consequently spends far less time learning/studying the
actual material.

What's worse is that in the rush to do this, these students
are also probably being cheated out of the opportunity to
learn the things they are supposed to be learning.

This is not to say that students should come out being
totally ignorant of environments that their visually able
colleagues will be using--
but unless the student has the ability to
differentiate between the tool e.g. the word processor and
the task e.g. writing a quality document
we'll always have visually impaired users starting on the
backfoot when it comes to competing in the mainstream.

Above anything else every visually impaired user needs to
be able to make an educated decision about the tools he/she
wishes to use to overcome a particular problem-- and this
goes well beyond picking computer aids,
it starts right from the time one chooses a human reader to
read out material, a writer to write an exam while at
school,
and so on.

--
Best Regards,
--raman

      Adobe Systems                 Tel: 1 (408) 536 3945   (W14-129)
      Advanced Technology Group     Fax: 1 (408) 537 4042
      (W14 129) 345 Park Avenue     Email: [log in to unmask]
      San Jose , CA 95110 -2704     Email:  [log in to unmask]
      http://labrador.corp.adobe.com/~raman/        (Adobe Intranet)
      http://cs.cornell.edu/home/raman/raman.html    (Cornell)
    Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are my own and in no way should be taken
as representative of my employer, Adobe Systems Inc.