VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
William Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 10:23:32 +0500
   >I am very happy with both the dectalk p c as well as dectalk
   >express.  I have very good things about double talk.  I use g w
   >micro's vocal eyes and window eyes.

   >I agree that we'll be expressing subjective opinions, but why not?

Doris,
If everyone would word their messages in this thread as did you,
perhaps we can discuss the particular strengths and weaknesses of
the various adaptive screen reading packages.  Experience over
the past 10 years in a shared message forum for the blind has
demonstrated that when requests for "the best" are posted, the
conversation generally deteriorates into name calling from the
less than knowledgable participants!  Since none of us here are
members of that category, however, I think we're safe!

I currantly use two different synthesizers, a Dectalk Express and
a Smartalk.  I literally own all the various Dos speech programs,
Automatic Screen Access for Windows, and Openbook Unbound version
1.1.  In general I am satisfied with all these products, although
not extremely impressed with ASAW, but this may be due to my own
distaste for Windows and my use of Windows 3.11 rather than
Windows 95, in which I hear ASAW works much better.  All the DOS
speech programs perform all the same tasks now adays, so the
primary thing to look for is one whose interface you're
comfortable with.  In my case, it's Flipper, but that's probably
due just to the fact I've been using it for so long.  Although I
use my Dectalk for most of my personal reading and the like, the
Smartalk, which uses the parallel port, frees up a serial port
for other uses.  Also, it is the smallest synthesizer out there,
so it works out nicely with my laptop computer.

Openbook fulfills my scanning needs fine, but in all honesty,
when I've had the opportunity to compare all the various
packages, each seems to work best with particular materials fed
it.  If there is any single item I suggest one test with their
own, likely to be needed scanned materials, it is the OCR
packages, for even though we regularly see comparisons published,
I still believe one's own particular situation may be unique
enough to make one or another significantly better!

In summary, I honestly don't believe there is such a thing as a
"best" in the adaptive screen reading game, be it a synthesizer,
a Dos or a Windows speech program, or an Optical Character
Recognition system!  For that reason, I think the best thing to
do is get the product which offers you the best chances for
receiving local support and assistance!  One can spend countless
hours of time looking for "the best", but nothing means more than
a quick and easy answer to those inevitable problems you'll have
with any of them!
                                        Willie

Net-Tamer V 1.10.1  - Registered